Sunday, July 19, 2009

Final Blog

Part 1:

Please DESCRIBE (this means MORE than list, you know...) at least five meaningful things you learned in this course and how these things have, or will, effect change(s) in your life (either personally or professionally).


Over the course of 5 days I learned many important lessons, for starters I learned how valuable the Adirondacks are to our world...I think I over heard Beth talking about how in the past there was about 100 lakes that are completely dead but over the last couple decades that number has grown to 500. That number astounds me...upon finding this out it stresses the importance of finding alternatives to natural resources. I plan on teaching the importance of the Adirondacks to my classroom.


Another valuable lesson that I learned was the general importance of trying to live a 'green' lifestyle, in class we discussed the importance of wind and solar power. As a nation and world we need to depend less on coal, oil, water, etc. and need to direct ourselves towards living a more sustainable lifestyles. If we don't we are headed for serious degradation of our earth.


A third lesson that I learned was how I personally pushed myself (on the ropes course and kayaking). Completing the high ropes course was very meaningful to me. At first glance of the course I immediately told myself that I wasn't going to do it. But after watching many of my peers finish the course I decided that I had to do it. For one I didn't know when I would get the opportunity again. Completing the high ropes course was a valuable lesson to me as a future teacher, when I find myself dealing with an obstacle I will think of this experience and push myself thru it like I did for the obstacle course.


Another valuable lesson I learned at Raquette Lake was the importance of history in general and specifically the Adirondacks. If we don't know how things came to be than we can never understand the importance or gain respect (i.e the Adirondacks). History is a very important topic when it comes to any subject. In my classroom I plan on stressing the significance of history and incorporating it into my lessons where applicable.


The last meaningful lesson that I learned was the importance of team building (through the high ropes course and discussions) in the classroom as well as the community and specifically the school. It is vital to have mutual respect, a sense of community, and collaboration.


Part 2:


Please DESCRIBE at least three things you have taken away from the course topics, activities, discussions, and/or readings that will affect what you do to in your classroom (or workplace) that will connect our week to what you do every day.


One aspect that I have taken away from the course is trying to live a green lifestyle, it is vital that the people on the earth harmonize with the environment, animals, and habitats. Every decision we make will affect our futures especially our children and grandchildren lives. I plan on teaching my students the importance of your environment and how they need to live in harmony with the world.
One topic that was discussed during the course was how much garbage our schools are outputting. We need to recycle in our communities especially schools and it needs to be taught as well. I cant remember the name of the organization that picks up recyclables from schools for a small fee. Id hope my school would use a resources like this and help eliminate pollution.
Another important topic that was discussed was solar and wind power. It is necessary that a as a nation we try to steer away from depleting our natural resources. When I finally buy my own house I plan on using wind/ and or solar power to generate electric. I feel that many people should look at alternatives like wind/solar power because any step towards living a more sustainable lifestyle will help improve our future.


2 comments:

  1. Jen,

    I'm glad you were able to take so much from the course that you can use in your future classroom, your current summer position, and for your personal life. With your concentration, background, and interest, I hope you' ll plan to become a resource for your peers when you get your future teaching position. Since you'll be coming up with me in the fall, with the rest of the Block I group, you can help lead the class with the different activities and the history tour:) Remember to let me know how things go that you wanted to try in your summer program and plan to share things with your peers in block I!

    - Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I deff agree that you pushed yourself on the ropes course. You did an awesome job. Even more so I'm glad that you recognized that you pushed yourself because not everyone is the same..There is a differeent comfort zone for everyone.
    I think its really cool that you get the plan lesson plans and stuff like your fungus day one. Hopefully you can use the stuff that I sent you too. I think it would be neat to get to try some of the stuff we learned from beth, karl and ed into you teachings too, or spread the word to co-workers.
    Nice meeting you and keep in touch.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete